Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Great Backyard Chicken Adventure, part 11

We finally put up deer netting above the fence to keep the girls from taking an unexpected plunge next door. It is practically invisible, yay! It was such a hot day when we secured the garden this week, I sat down in the shade of the run to cool off. My friend looked at me from the other end of the garden and gave the command “Release the birds!”

I unlocked the door and sat down again, then pushed the door open from the side. (I don’t want the girls to associate a human standing at the door with playing in the yard). They plopped out and came over to peck in the dirt around my feet. Then someone’s little brain thought ‘Wait a minute, there’s spinach here someplace’… and off to the veggie bed where they happily ripped away at the spinach (it had bolted so why not?). They basically stayed in a small part of the garden and came back to the pen readily when I shook the cup and put out dinner. I can’t wait to let them out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment